Christmas Berry Pavlova
4 egg whites
1 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon cornflour
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 120°C or 100°C fan forced and grease a large oven tray or pizza tray. On a sheet of baking paper, use a plate as a guide to draw a 23cm circle, then a 13cm circle inside it. Place the paper on the tray, pencil side down.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar, a spoonful at a time, beating until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Add cornflour and vanilla and beat until just combined.
- Using the pencil lines on the baking paper as a guide, scoop large spoonful’s of meringue onto the tray to form a wreath shape.
- Use the back of a spoon to make an indentation in the top of the meringue, all the way around the centre.
- Bake for 1 ½ hours, then turn off oven, prop the door open slightly and leave to cool completely.
- To serve, carefully run a large knife between the pavlova and the paper to loosen it, then slide onto a serving plate. Whip the cream to soft peaks and spoon over the top of the pavlova. Top with the berries.