Christmas Raspberry Tarts
2 cups (300g) plain flour
¼ cup (45g) icing, plus extra for dusting
150g butter, chilled chopped
1 egg yolk, plus 1 extra egg
2 ½ tablespoon water
120g punnet raspberries, lightly crushed
¼ cup 90g raspberry jam
2 teaspoon cornflour
1 tablespoon raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced.
- Place flour, icing sugar and butter in a food processor until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of the water and process until dough just comes together.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until just smooth. Set aside.
- Stir the crushed raspberries, jam and cornflour in a saucepan over low heat for 5 minutes or until the mixture comes to a simmer and thickens.
- Roll out the pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper until 3mm thick. Use a 6.5cm round pastry cutter to cut 20 discs from the pastry. Line 20 30ml patty pans with pastry discs. Use a fork to prick the bases. Whisk together extra egg and remaining water.
- Roll out remaining pastry until 3mm thick. Use a 5.5cm round cutter to cut out 20 discs. Use a 3.5cm star cutter to cut out a star from each disc.
- Divide jam mixture among pastry cases.
- Brush edges of pastry with egg mixture.
- Top with discs. Brush tops with egg mixture. Sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool.
- Dust with the extra icing sugar.