Melted butter to grease
125g butter, at room temp
100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
125ml (1/2 cup) golden syrup
1 egg separated
2 ½ cups plain flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon bi-carb soda
Plain flour, to dust
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
8-10 drops red liquid food colouring
8-10 drops green liquid food colouring
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush 2 baking trays with melted butter to lightly grease.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy.
- Add the golden syrup and egg yolk and beat until combined.
- Stir in the flour, ginger, mixed spice and bi-carb soda.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Press dough into a disc. Cover with cling wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, place egg white in a clean dry bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add icing sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Divide icing among 3 bowls. Cover 1 bowl.
- Add red colouring to 1 bowl and stir until combined.
- Add green colouring to remaining bowl and stir until combined. Cover with cling wrap and place in the fridge.
- Place the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper and roll out until about 4mm thick.
- Use a gingerbread man cutter to cut out shapes. Place on trays about 3cm apart. Repeat with any excess dough.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until brown. Remove from oven. Transfer to rack to cool.
- Place prepared icings in small plastic bags. Cut a small hole in a corner of each bag. Pipe icing over gingerbread men to decorate.