Roast Turkey With Apple Stuffing
100g butter, softened
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
4 prosciutto slices, finely chopped
2 cups (140g) sourdough breadcrumbs
1 granny smith apple, finely chopped
½ cup (50g) lightly toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
¼ cup coarsely chopped tarragon
1 ½ tablespoon lemon zest
4kg fresh turkey
2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
Apple cider gravy
2 tablespoons plain flour
½ cup (125ml) apple cider
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Melt half the butter in a medium fry pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and prosciutto. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens.
- Remove from heat. Transfer to a bowl. Add breadcrumbs, apple, walnuts, half the tarragon and half the lemon zest. Gently toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove excess fat, giblets and neck from turkey. Wipe the turkey inside and out with paper towel.
- Loosely fill the turkey cavity with the stuffing.
- Use kitchen string to tie the legs together. Tuck the wings under the turkey.
- Place a wire rack in the base of a large roasting pan. Lightly grease the rack. Place the turkey, breast side up, on the wire rack. Combine the remaining butter, tarragon and lemon zest.
- Carefully spread half the butter mixture over the turkey breast.
- Pour the stock around the base of the roasting pan. Cover with baking paper, then cover with foil. Roast, basting turkey occasionally, for 2 hours.
- Uncover the turkey. Brush the breast with the remaining butter mixture. Continue roasting, basting occasionally, for 1 hour or until the juices run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced with a skewer.
- Transfer to a platter and cover with foil. Set aside for 20 minutes to rest.
- To make gravy, pour juices from the roasting pan into a heatproof jug. Discard the fat from the surface, reserving 2 tablespoons. Return reserved fat to roasting pan. Place over medium- high heat.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring with a flat-bottomed wooden spoon, for 2 minutes or until mixture begins to bubble.
- Add the apple cider, mustard and reserved pan juices. Cook stirring constantly for 5 minutes or until gravy boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Strain into a gravy boat to serve.